Monday, September 10, 2012

Return to Normal Sleep

I just have to say for all those that do not understand the title of this post, it is a play on words with the idea of return to normalcy. Not that the idea of returning to normalcy really matters much to what I want to talk about today, but I thought it was creative and I did not want that to slip. So anyway, just wanted to get that off my chest.

For the past month or so my sleep schedule has been all off the schedule and it has sort of been driving me mad, sort of been a blessing. I would go to sleep between 4AM and 6AM and then I would not wake-up until noon. It was sort of nice, a way to have the house to myself while also still sharing it with my parents. But the idea of getting up at midday bothered me, half my time in the daylight already gone and half my day with the puppy was also half-passed. So while my parents were actually away, to dodge the criticism that seems to follow my sleep habits, I actually pushed my entire schedule forward by two to four hours a day until I was finally back to sleeping when the sun is down and getting up at the crack of down. I like it.

I like the idea of getting up with the sunrise so much that I am actually going to set my alarm for 6:30AM every morning just to insure I never get ahead of myself again. There is something truly spectacular about watching the sunrise, like a piece in time that only certain folks can afford to see. It is not like the sunset, many more people are acquainted with the way the sun dips behind mountains here, but not many know what it is like to see the sun rise from the plains.

And for those curious as to what it feels like to completely change your sleeping schedule by moving forward one light-zone a day, it is miserable. When you wake-up for the first time in the middle of the night and feel well rested, your body starts to ache for no real reason except that it is mad at you. And it is depressing as well, to think that you will not get to see the sun until the end of several long hours. On top of all that, what can you do? The stores are all closed, the people you know and love are all tuckered into their beds and fast asleep, and you have to find ways to pass the time. Sure, there is the internet, but that only lasts so long before you realize how much you want to be with actual people. I do not recommend having a sleep schedule where you sleep when the sun is up, it casts a hopeless fate on the soul.

Anyway, whole day ahead of me now I suspect, so I'm off to enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment