Sunday, September 23, 2012

Puppy's First Hike

Yesterday was a special first day for our young puppy, because we took her out on her first ever hike! For the first one my mother decided the best place to go would be back to Mount Falcon Park in Conifer, Colorado. I have to admit that the park trails are fairly flat and to get to the end of the first trail is maybe a ten minute walk (or twenty, hard to tell when one is hiking).

The Puppy sitting on a Rock
My father decided to make the trip a little bit more difficult by forgetting to bring the dog cover for his car's backseat. I ended up carrying the puppy on my lap the whole trip, it was a wreckage waiting to happen. She wanted to look out one window, then look out another window, then look out the front window, then get comfortable, and then repeat; but all of those were unattainable because she could not move from my lap. I struggled with her the entire ride up and I have to say I was not a happy camper.

When we arrived, we got her out of the car, I brushed off the mountain of dog fur that had accumulated from her fighting to stay on my lap the whole way up, and then the four of us started hiking down the trail (literally down, because we were at the top). The puppy was as happy as could be, running this way and that, sniffing at this and that, and trying to run up to every single person that we passed. Yet for the people the hike was slightly less enjoyable. We spent most of our time trying to control her and stopping her from eating things she should not be putting in her mouth. Still, all of us managed to have a great time out on the trail. 

When we got to the castle ruins (the Walker family house ruins, but everyone calls it the castle ruins), I took several pictures of our pup sitting on rocks and in the sunset. She seemed less happy to pose than to walk down the dirt path, but I did not care. I wanted a photograph to commemorate and remember this first of many adventures she is going to take! Afterwards we all started back, and she was just as happy as before. 

Back at the car we put down her water bowel and filled it, she drank up, and then it was another horrific car ride of her on my lap all the way back to the house...

No comments:

Post a Comment