Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Do Not get Caught in the Political Sludge

A few days ago I received a call from one of the polling services that want to know my opinion about the current candidates for president, senate, and whatever else that they can ask me. Normally I try and dodge these calls, telling them I am not interested or I do not have time, but I was caught off guard this time because my parents handed me the phone and said it was for me. That is the last time I take a telephone from my parents without asking who I am talking to.

So this woman gets on and asks me if I want to do a short survey for the Colorado have-nots or what-nots (I honestly have no idea who she worked for, just that they were Colorado based). And right away I ask her if she can just put "I do not care" down the entire list. She tells me that she cannot do that, that I would be swaying the survey if I did do that, and that it she had "only a couple of questions that would only take a couple of minutes of my time." Ten minutes later, and a bunch of bullshit on my part being spewed out because I do not want them to know my opinion, I finally tell her I am done taking this survey. I then hung up, I mean it was not like she had be strapped down to a chair and I needed to finish the survey to escape for the day.

But the reason I bring up this incident in my life is because of the topic of the survey, which was what political crap can be said to try and sway the votes. Literally, after getting through the candidates and asking me if I was likely to vote for them (which I gave them all a solid three out of ten), this woman starts asking me if a statement would change my opinion. I am sorry, I do not wade through the political bullshit that they spew on television anymore and I never believe what I hear until I have looked up the facts for myself. So my question for her is simple, why would I want to give her answers that would support creating more of this political fudge that we all have to hear and has almost no truth concerning what the real issues are?


Would you like to know what I believe? I think that if all the money that is donated to presidential candidates was turned over for use by the government to stage a few strategic campaign rallies for the parties and the rest given to education, health care, infrastructure reconstruction, and so forth, then we could actually rebuild America. But alas, politics would rather wage war against each other instead of prove that they will help America, which is funny because I think actions are more powerful than words. Listen, you can get up in front of me and say you are going to try and fix the educational system during all your campaign commercials and speeches, or you could straight up donate that money and show me you are already trying to fix it and that the position only means giving you more power and access to work with the problem.

But I digress, because what I really wanted to talk about and the reason I brought up that phone call is that I am personally sick of swimming through the political sludge of life. So here is a service announcement to all of my friends, one that I live by and I do not understand why others cannot follow. Do NOT get caught up in the political sludge. Do not believe what they tell you on the television, do not take any one else's word for where a politician stands, and especially do not let someone else tell you the truth and blindly think that it is the truth. Instead, be a better citizen and learn to think for yourself. Maybe then you can come to a more informed decision about your candidate.

No comments:

Post a Comment