Friday, July 20, 2012

Watch This: The Dark Knight Rises

Before I even begin to give a review of the newest Batman, I want to first take another moment to wish the best to the families of the victims and to the survivors of the Century 16 theater shooting in Aurora, Colorado. Personally, I remember getting out of the theater and being so happy as I tried to come-up with the words for this review. All of that changed the minute I got home and turned on my computer, opening up twitter to find that for some folks it had not been such a happy occasion. It is going to take everyone a long time to recover and understand what happened at this midnight opening.

If you want to know what happened, I was doing a live update blog that morning that can be found in the link below. You can also search any of the major news sources for this shooting. I've also done that search in my blog, bringing up many of the major news sources and posting links to their individual articles.

Canvas Spots - Batman Theater Shooting

Batman: The Dark Knight Rises [2012]
I have to start my little review of the movie by telling everyone that I'm actually not the biggest superhero movie fan. In fact, I tend to think badly or down of superhero movies because I just have never had a love of superheroes. Yet somehow I keep ended up at the movie theater to watch all of these movies released. Just this summer, I've seen the new Avengers movie and the Amazing Spiderman, to which I probably would not have gone to. I am not really that big a fan of spiderman and the Avengers was something I only wanted to see because my friends were going with it.

With all of that said, even I was excited for the new Batman movie. Why? Because so far I have loved the previous two and Christopher Nolan's ability to create perfectly creepy villains. That's right, my favorite part about all the recent Batman movies is not the bat, but actually all of the bad guys!





The Movie Trailer for Batman: The Dark Knight Rises
Living Up to Potential
So when I say that my favorite part of these movies is the villains, I really do mean it. In the first movie, the Scarecrow was done perfectly! He had this sinister look in his eyes and his concept was unbelievably well done. For me, all of the scenes with the scarecrow, or Cillian Murphy's acting, really made the movie. And I know he's not the main villain in that film, but he is the one that stood out (character-wise and description-wise). In the second movie, which I will admit that even after seeing the newest one in the series, still has my favorite villain! The Joker was done perfectly; and Heath Ledger really did bring the part to life as he licked his lips and changed his tales about his scars. And it is the joker, or rather Heath Ledger's perfect acting, that makes me want to watch the second Batman film several times over.

With all of that said, the villain in the new film is phenomenal! Bane, played by Tom Hardy, has a really cool mask that you spend most of the film trying to figure out what exactly it does for him. Don't worry, they explain why he wears that wicked looking mass over his nose and mouth and I'm not going to ruin it here. But even beyond that, his ideas and his reasons for why he wanted to terrorize Gotham City are well thought out. And from moment, to moment, he really does make the film better as he elegantly talks about his views.

The Most Clever of the Films
I thought the first film was interesting but lacked a really in-depth plot, which is strange when examining all of Christopher Nolan's movies. I think Christopher Nolan purposefully made the plot simple because he did not have all the money in the world to spend on the film and was trying to get the general public back into Batman-mania. In that respect it worked, but the plot still feels lacking overall to me. In the second film, I thought he did an excellent job of pushing the plot up to what I would call the standard, giving it enough twists and moments that you are on the edge of your seat as each explosive goes off. I think he could not invest into a very confusing and tangled plot, like he could with his movie Inception, because he needed to really work and mold both Christian Bale's Batman character and Heath Ledger's Joker character.

This movie is by far the most clever of the three films though, as he links the previous two movies together in a way you would never expect. I would like to quickly note right now that not one is Heath Ledger's joker mentioned in this movie, which was rather strong. Instead, this movie links to the previous film through the way it ended. For the most part, it links back to the first movie's plot more, but that might be because of Heath Ledger's tragic death.

Anyway, the plot has a lot of really-well (though not perfectly) written twists as you watch Batman's character shape from start to finish. I will make this one comment though, I wish they would have put the very last scene at the end of the credits. You can comment and tell me if you agree or disagree.

Conclusion
Go see it. I'm not joking, this movie is made for all ages and it is action packed. I think everyone will like it, the concept is solid and the villain is entertaining, it will surely keep you pleased for spending the money! Just one thing, don't forget to use the restroom before it starts. The movie is approximately three hours long and if you are in the middle of the crowd, forget getting up!

The Spotted Canvas is not endorsed or certified by the creators of Batman or The Dark Knight Rises. All of the Batman videos, promotional material, and trademarks displayed on this website are the property of their creators. 

No comments:

Post a Comment