Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Use This: Day One Journal

[Day One Journal]
So I was recently using the iPhone application My Wonderful Days as my journal application, and up until now it has been a stellar choice. My Wonderful Days was only a dollar in the iTunes store when I bought it, it offered some really nice features such as being able to set a reminder to write a journal, and most importantly it let me select my mood for the day. So at the time, I took the cheap way out on getting a journal and I still do not regret it.

Alas, a few days ago I started thinking maybe it was time for an upgrade. It turned out I really enjoyed writing a journal (when the journal reminds me I need to write in it) and that I really did like putting down my personal thoughts in a safe place that only I could get into. I started looking at some of the competition, and more specifically at the leading journal in the store. Now, for back-up the application I was looking at was called Day One Journal. It has been not only the leading journal application on iTunes, but it is the recommended application by Apple. In other words, I was really interested but still not willing to buy because I did not feel it was a great enough increase in quality for the extra money. All of that changed though within a week.

Day One - Journal
Day One - Journal
I logged into the Apple App Store and for a moment it flashed to the current featured applications. To my surprise there was Day One Journal sitting right there on the screen, but this was not the iPhone application. Instead, I was looking at the Macintosh computer application build of the same exact journal program. I was instantly interested, because if there is one thing I know about applications on apple products it is that they all tend to sync with one another wirelessly which was the one feature I was looking for. I was right, the iPhone application would sync with the computer application, so I was instantly hooked.

The reason I wanted an application that was both a journal on my phone as well as a journal on my computer was for typing in entries. Sometimes I have something to say while I'm on the move and so I want to use my phone to add it to my journal. Or maybe I have a photograph that I just took that I would like to remember when and where. Well, for all of those needs I would want something on my phone. But the phone part actually does more than that. I can also record the current temperature as well as the location the journal was taken at, which is really cool since sometimes I go places and while waiting for a friend I like to write in my journal.

On the flip side, I am also someone who likes to sit down at the end of the day and quickly type long entries into my journal. Before, this would mean getting out my phone and using the touchscreen keyboard to type in these long, excessive entries that describe the little things that happen during my day. To put it nicely, it was annoying and I am surprised I made as many entries as I had. But now with an application that can wirelessly send all of the data from my phone to my computer, I was in the perfect position to get the best of both worlds.


Now, the reason I am recommending this application goes beyond that nice and honestly very-needed feature. It also has a bunch of little features built in that I think are really cool, along with some other ones that are on the way. For instance, the Day One Journal also has most of the features that I had in my other application, such as the ability to star entries that I thought were very important and very meaningful to me or to set that daily reminder that I need to write in my journal for the day. Both of these are extremely important to someone like me, because I know that when I go back through my entries the number one thing I do is search for the meaningful ones and I cannot always remember to write in my journal. So since Day One has these features, it becomes more useful to someone like me.

Anyway, if you are looking for a journal application for your iPhone and maybe even one for your computer I recommend this one. Skip the hassle of getting a cheaper journal application that you will later have to hand-import into your better one and just start off with the best right away!

The Spotted Canvas uses the Day One® application programming interface but is not endorsed or certified by Bloom Built, LLC. All of the Day One® logos and trademarks displayed on this website are the property of Bloom Built, LLC.

No comments:

Post a Comment