Friday, August 31, 2012

Maybe Watch This: Wild Cherry

Movie Poster for Wild Cherry
Tonight began much like any other night, I was bored and browsing through a long list of movies that did not seem very interesting when I came upon one that caught my eye. So I opened it and read the description about what this strangely titled movie I had never heard. Then, when all of the details satisfied my tastes in some manner or another, I decided to start watching it. 

What I learned from the description was this movie is about three female high schoolers that are apparently on some sort of list to have sex and they discover the list. So then these girls decide to seek revenge against the main character's boyfriend, because he should not be doing something so sinister as helping the main character get laid. Oh yeah, and Rob Schneider is in this movie as the dad. But what that description forgot to tell me was that the movie I was about to watch was one of those very awkward ones, a film that puts even the viewers into their own little place as they wonder what they are watching and why they cannot turn away. If that alone does not give any idea to what Wild Cherry is about, here is my full review!
Wild Cherry [2009]
What I had stumbled upon I had at first thought would be yet another teen movie with some awkward references towards sex and sexuality in a high school environment. I was sort of right, because this movie is about teenagers in a high school and their strange tale about getting some. But what the description forgot to say was that this movie would be the most awkward sexual movie I would ever watch. Literally, every scene is a gem of disturbing ideas placed into an awkward setting, making the viewer cringe and then laugh at the horribly disturbing ideas. I will not lie, I loved the awkwardness that I found in this film.

Anyway, the basic plot of the film is the following. These three high school girls are all best friends and they all have a unique perspective on sex and getting rid of their virginity. You have the smart one that carries a camera around, and she just wants to get it over with so that she can call it done and move on. Then you have the shy one that is not exactly too good at anything except looking really good. And finally, you have the main character, a sweet girl that wants the first time to be something special and extra romantic. And of all these girls, it would only make sense that the smart one is a bit of an outcast as she makes a film about other students' descriptions of their first time and the main character to be the only one with an actual boyfriend that seems to love her (though it sort of is hard to tell).

Then you meet the other side, all the boys and how they are all on the football team. They have a tradition on the football team where each member has sex with a virgin to keep good luck with the football team when they go out onto the field. They even have a secret book where they write down and check-off the girls as they take their virginity. Later, this will be the exact book that the girls find and decide to get revenge for, but that happens a bit of a way into the film.

And then there is the last character, which is Rob Schneider's character. He actually plays the father of the main character in the movie and he plays it perfectly. He looks like a dad, has that sort of awkward sense of not giving up his daughter, and he does funny things that honestly remind me of the weird and strange things my own father does. In other words, although his character offers very little to the actual plot of the movie, he does make the movie better.


Theatrical Trailer for Wild Cherry

The best part of this movie is by far the awkwardness that it presents. Every scene is made classical by the way that they turn something that should not be weird into something dramatically different. You have kids masturbating on film and what they do to masturbate is just weird as all get-out. You also have the whole sex theme coming back as it looms over forever in the background as a presence. I'm basically saying that this whole movie is strange, different, and hilarious if you understand the sort of disgusting humor it has to offer.

The second best part is definitely Rob Schneider. His character is just plain strange through the whole film and to be honest I was not fully sure why he was in the film. They could have easily cut his role, had he not have been the big name on the list, but they did not and I am happy they did not. He basically adds a level of humor that the film could not have reached without his sort of creepy, fatherly figure hanging over the daughter at given moments. And it really does add a layer of comedy I respected and enjoyed.

These are the reasons I recommend the movie to those that love teen films and those that love awkward movies, but I do have some complaints. I did feel that the writing moved a bit slow at some parts and it could have been sped up. I also felt that they could have been cracking more awkward jokes more often. So it sort of lacked on that end, but it was still funny when they did hit a joke. Anyway, I personally would recommend this film to everyone, but I feel it might be a little bit too awkward and out there for some of my friends.

The Spotted Canvas uses the Wild Cherry promotional media but is not endorsed or certified by Starz Entertainment, LLC. All of the Wild Cherry logos and trademarks displayed on this website are the property of Starz Entertainment, LLC.

No comments:

Post a Comment