Saturday, August 18, 2012

A Note About Telephones

The following is a rant that I wrote about a telephone my parents have that kills the internet. Please only read if you want to hear ranting.


I am pretty sure that the following statement I am about to make is pretty rare now-a-days, but here are some thoughts about what to look for when you purchase your next telephone for your landline. And like I said, I realize that the statement will seem dated since most people hate landlines and would rather just have cellphones. Still, I think it needs to be said.

Check the frequency. I know, this sounds strange, but as I sit here trying to type something up to the internet my connection keeps going on and off. Why? Because someone at the phone company that made the damn telephone my parents like to pick-up decided to use the same frequency as the wireless internet connection. So every time the phone rings and this one specific telephone is off the hook the internet goes out, every time someone uses that phone to talk the internet goes out, and every time my Dad gets upset that the internet goes out he's on that phone.

But wait, here's the kicker about all of this. Did you know that the United States actually regulates which frequencies signals can be sent at? That is because we can now send a frequency out at any wavelength, ranging from some that you know very well, such as radio waves, to other that are quite dangerous, such as X-Rays. So, in the big battle that is a billion wavelengths all traveling around the United States, the government made it easy by sectioning off which wavelengths can do what. That means that the phones and the internet should not be anywhere near the same frequency and should never interfere. Thank you Mom and Dad for purchasing a telephone before this was monitored.

End Rant.

No comments:

Post a Comment