Thursday, August 16, 2012

Great Friends Last a Lifetime

I know that I do a lot of blog posts about my friends, but then again where would I be without them. They are like my family, they shape me into the person I am and they help guide me through the darkest of times. And the one thing I have always tried to do is hold my friendships throughout anything that life might through at us.

But this time, I would like to single out one friend that I have had for years now, one that I've had quarrels with and we've gotten through a lot of weird things that friends do not normally have to go to. This is my best friend (though not my only best friend) Jordan. Let me just give a brief history and then why I'm making this post.
The History
Anyway, back in my Sophomore year of college (his Freshman year), we both lived in the same dorm and he was just down the hall. If we were not in class, we were together hanging out. That was the year that we discovered several television shows that we both love, such as Weeds, Dexter, Heroes (only season 1 for me though) and Arrested Development. We also spent a lot of time making ridiculous films together which, looking back at the pictures from those films and thinking about them, it was really cool to know I did something productive with my buddy.

The next year we both ended up rooming together in the same apartment. I do not think I have ever had such a great roommate. We both loved the same music, similar foods, and we had a similar idea of crazy ideas we wanted to do. For example, we both really wanted to dye our hair. I know now that it was a terrible idea, but to be honest life is for the living and sometimes you have to do crazy things to enjoy it. Basically, one of the best years of my life. Side note, that was also the year we both went to Vail for Spring Break and it was awesome.

For my senior year we ended up splitting up and he went to live with his girlfriend and I went to live with another friend (which was completely by chance, but he was not that bad of a roommate). Anyway, we still hung out on occasion but our lives were kind of slowly separating at that point. I did not know it, but within six months my best friend would not be coming back to Colorado any time in the near future. Still, we hung out just enough and I wish he could have stayed longer.

To The Point
That's the history. Okay, so what does that have to do with this post? Well, a couple of years ago we were still doing holiday gifts to one another and I got him something and he told me that he had the perfect gift for me, but it was out of stock. I am pretty sure that at the time I told him it was alright and not to worry about it, but apparently the thought never left his mind.

So today my Dad suddenly tosses me a soft package, but I had not ordered anything. I look at it and where it shipped from, completely confused, when suddenly I remember Jordan saying that the gift he had meant to get me had finally come back in stock. He had ordered me the gift after all these years. It's perfect, a zombie tee shirt that basically says exactly the type of guy I am. And it was so extremely out there that I thought it deserved a post all on its own.

So there you have it, another strange but awesome thing in my life.

Another Note
On another slightly related note (zombie related), if you want to see a movie with probably the best zombie make-up and effects I have seen in recent movies, then definitely go and check out The Revenant. I just watched it right before this came, which was kind of weird considering how it relates. Anyway, I feel it fits this post because the director and writer for the movie is related to Jordan and it is a zombie film. So go check it out if you have some free time!

Also, sorry for my jumpy thoughts. I'm sort of in a very skippy sort of mind-set. More to come later!

No comments:

Post a Comment