Friday, August 10, 2012

Weird Email and Weird Messages

I know that I post a lot of blog entries, I know that I've recently started reviewing movies, and for whatever reason they have become popular on some websites across the net.  Yet what I got today in my email was actually the weirdest thing of all. It was a piece of spam that said the following (Please note that I've actually blackened out some stuff and removed all the links for your protection):
Hi, 
Considering that I work with <random_website>, I spend a lot of time on the Internet browsing blogs, and I must say that yours has caught my attention. Coincidentally, we recently published an article entitled (Article Name that is really long and stupid) that I believe would draw considerable interest from your readers. If you are interested in sharing with them, then feel free to do so. Here's the link for your convenience:  
(Article_Link_That_Was_Even_More_Stupid_Than_The_Article_Name_itself/) 
Thanks for your time!
K******* C****** 
So at first I was a little bit excited because I was getting an email about my blog and how it was drawing attention finally from google. I had a blog before this one and for all the efforts I put in to make it popular or interesting, I made nothing out of it. I'm not sure what I'm doing differently this time, maybe just because I do not care who reads this. At any rate, then I read the whole thing and instantly knew that what this really was is spam of the tenth degree. This person, Mrs K.C. as I'll call her, is most likely a computer bot that does a simple internet search to find articles similar to the one on their website and then send an email if possible. Or maybe it is a real person. Either way, I know how they found me and it actually has nothing to do with my blog. To say the least, I am still flattered that I am getting spam mail!

But this is not the only weird thing that is happening to me with spam messages. I also received a very convincing and interesting text message this morning (and coincidentally the exact same one from a slightly different number two days ago). What I need to make clear before I post that message is that the number was in the Colorado area code, but no one I knew. Anyway, the text message I got both times said the following:
If you could please let me know yes or no about the loan. If you can't then i need to come up with other options. I expect a call from missouri any 
Minute. I don't know how much longer mom can hang on. Thank you.
Now the clues I had that this message was fake are very small, except for the main detail that matters. First of all, my Mom was at home with me and so I was left confused. Second, I don't know anyone from Missouri. To say the least, I was left confused right after reading this. I just thought I would share it since this seems like some new scam.

Anyway, nothing else to really report at two in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment