Thursday, July 19, 2012

Watch This: Miss March

I would like to note that before I begin I'm completely dropping the whole idea of rating movies and simply saying see it, don't see it, or think about it. My reasoning behind this is that if I see a review I go straight for the stars but I fail to read what the review has to offer. However, if someone told me to see a movie, I'm a bit more interested in the Why. That's my reasoning behind dropping ratings, I hope it makes sense.

So I just got through watching the movie Miss March with my Mom, which is the second time I've seen it. We both agreed this is a classic, funny, and just all-around rememberable movie. So I'm going to say it now, go out and watch Miss March if you have not seen it!

Miss March [2009]
But before I go recommending the movie, let me give a background that might help set the scene for why I like this movie so much. I think it will really help everyone understand why both of us, including my Mother, thought this movie was amazing!



The Movie Trailer for Miss March

Before Miss March
So before the creators of this movie made Miss March, they were the main stars in a television show that was not very popular but actually was one of my all-time favorite shows, The Whitest Kids U'Know. Basically, The Whitest Kids U'Know is a show that five guys from a single comedy group decided to make. If you have seen that show, then you should know the random, amazing assessment of humor to expect in this movie. In fact, if you have not seen the show then I recommend watching that first since it is actually what makes this movie so much better!

The five are Trevor Moore, Zach Cregger, Sam Brown, Daren Trumeter, and Timmy Williams, but in Miss March you will only see Trevor and Zach. To be honest, this is perfectly fine because on the show Trevor was the lead writer and creator of the show (with Daren helping). So as far as writing goes, this show reminds me a lot of The Whitest Kids U'Know when I watch it, with the same sort of blatantly obvious and out-there humor that I have come to love. Thus, why I recommend watching the show and getting the humor down before watching a full length film!

Just for reference, most of their comedy sketches can be found on YouTube, so go check that out first!

The Movie's Perfection
So from the way that the show was set-up, which was to give the audience the most precise and fastest way towards making them laugh, they take the movie in the same direction. It starts out a bit slow, but after they get everything set-up it just steam-rolls along through one moment to the next.

Which brings me to why I love this movie and am willing to give it the recommendation of a watch this. It has a lot of comedy built into it, but the comedy is in following everything that is happening. One moment to the next, they repeat the same joke but in a different situation that makes it that much better and more funny. And as the movie goes along, the situations become more complicated and call on previous ones for reason to believe. So by the end of the movie, if you've been paying attention then you'll never stop laughing because of the ridiculousness to it all. 

That's what makes this movie perfect, the repetition of instances that bring-up things that you've already seen. Granted, a lot of the movie is about sex, but to be honest, they could probably make a movie about anything that was just a great from how well-written and well-organized everything is to make everything click. A great movie knows to re-use things you've already seen to build up the current situation at hand. Similarly, that's why my Mom, who normally would be bored with the grotesque sort of scenes that were provided, was actually non-stop laughing towards the end. Because she was so entertained by the way each part related backwards that it brought the whole thing together.

Conclusions
To keep it simple, watch their original television show The Whitest Kids U'Know and get the humor down. Once you finish that, go and watch this movie and really be entertained by all it has to offer. This is truly the only way to enjoy this movie!

And most importantly, don't watch this movie alone, because you'll want to share it with a friend. The moments, the moments make me cry.

The Spotted Canvas is not endorsed or certified by the creators of Miss March. All of the Miss March videos, promotional material, and trademarks displayed on this website are the property of their creators. 

No comments:

Post a Comment