Monday, July 23, 2012

Don't Buy Crest Pro Health Mouthwash!

Photo from the blog Life in Boxes
[http://lifeinboxes.blogspot.com]
I know I'm a heavy coffee drinker, but the brown stains on my teeth are not from drinking coffee. Actually, all the stains on my teeth come from a mouthwash that you have probably seen on the shelves. Well, if you can't guess by the title of this post, that mouthwash was Crest Pro Health Mouthwash.

Let me back up to a couple of weeks ago. I was at the store with my Mom and we were looking at the mouthwashes available. She was looking for a specific one that she could not find, so I pointed out that she might want to try one of the total care mouthwashes. I pointed to the Listerine Total Care brand and on the spot I told her it burns like no other. She said she did not believe me and so she grabbed the bottle. Being the experienced person I am, as I had already tried that earlier this year and found it really burned, I decided to opt out of burning with the promising looking Crest Pro Health brand.

Except there was my mistake. If I was more of an Amazon enthusiast, by which I mean I always go to Amazon to see what the reviews say, then I would have known very quickly that I was making a huge error in judgement. Right there on the reviews the Crest Pro Health Mouthwash has not one, but TWO major issues!

  1. The mouthwash stains people's teeth brown after approximately a week or so of use. This can be returned to normal with vigorous brushing and a visit to the dentist, though no-one seems to happy or thrilled about either idea.
  2. The mouthwash was known for removing people's ability to taste foods. I did not find a review where a person noted getting their sense of taste back.
Alas, I did not go on Amazon and I did not see this reviews or the pitiful one-and-a-half star rating. I figured that if the product was on the store shelf and sold by a leading competitor in dental health that it would be safe for my teeth and that it would not affect my ability to taste the world. Was I wrong to think this way? I still don't think so, because if a company really wants me to believe they are competent then they better not be putting products out that damage the customers.

So I started using it, but unlike many of the people online I was only using the product maybe once every other day, if even. Well, it's been about two weeks since I purchased this disaster of a product and let me tell you, I regret it. Now I have these dark brown stains on the sides of my teeth where my toothbrush obviously has trouble reaching. And I showed my Mom and she thought it was the amount of coffee I drink, but then I told her the truth. After doing a TEN SECOND internet search, by which I emphasize the ten seconds because it literally was the third link and the first thing I viewed, I saw a bunch of complaints about the Crest Pro Health Mouthwash. Thirty seconds later, I saw the Amazon reviews and thanked God I still have my ability to taste... or at least I haven't noticed a huge difference yet.

But the worst part of this fiasco is that within a minute of doing an internet search for why my teeth were brown, I was looking at the label. Sure enough, on the back of the damn packaging in the smallest print they could find legible is a small piece that says it might discolor your teeth. I'm not joking. Everyone has had problems with this product and they leave a tiny sentence on the back. I'm sorry, but this company needs to put it in huge writing on the front, the FDA should fine them big time for not making a big deal out of it, and to be honest it should not be approved for sale!

/Rant.

No comments:

Post a Comment