Friday, July 27, 2012

Puppies First Full Day

So I was finally relieved of my position, puppy night watch, yesterday at approximately 6:30AM. I was up a bit longer, working on things I needed to do for myself before I went to sleep, and my Dad was enjoying the sleeping puppy.

A bit before noon hit, I woke from a cold-sweat sleep and went downstairs to find my Mom watching the dog and my Dad out fixing the deck so she could not get under there. The puppy, who had worn herself out again, fell back asleep and my Mom came up and reheated the breakfast burritos I had made a few days ago. And of course, while heating those up she woke from her slumber. So it was back outside to run around and do anything we could to tire her out. I think that is just about the easiest way to deal with a new puppy, just work them out until they are tired and fall asleep again. Luckily, we've been learning some tricks of the trade to getting this pup tired. Our secrets are the following, though they may not work for you.

The Pup is an Explorer!
  • Explore - We let the girl run around the yard, sniffing and smelling (and sometimes even eating, though I do not recommend that) everything and anything in the yard. This works really well during the day, but it was not really an option last night since we have foxes and owls in our neighborhood.
  • Explore Some More - If my family and I sit down, she might come over to us and give lots of doggie kisses. Yet what is about twenty times more likely to happen is she'll start jumping around the grass, attacking leaves and just plain being a cute little puppy!
  • Play Soccer - She's really started attacking that blue soccer ball some more today, running after it so that she can chew the outside up. Sometimes this really interests her, sometimes she'll ignore it, but we still try because it is less energy to kick a soccer ball then to actually jump and play with her.
  • Jump and Play - This is a cattle dog, bred and raised to chase and herd animals. So one of her favorite past times is to try to herd us! She actually loves chasing us back and forth across the yard, working to keep us from passing her as she goes left and right.

Sleeping by the Water Bowl
Now, after getting her back inside, the little pup was tuckered out and passed out like she usually does next to the door. I let her sleep there for a little bit, to which she slowly crawled around the water bowl, but finally I picked her up and moved her over near the couch. Our goal is to train her to come near our feet when she wants to lay down or sleep, though I'm personally just trying to steal her for myself.

Anyway, she plays inside, she plays outside, she sleeps, and then we repeat the process all over again. It is a lot of fun, a little tiring, but that is pretty much what she wanted to do all day!

With that said, here's some videos from the day, hope you enjoy them!





No comments:

Post a Comment